#3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:20

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Synthroid, Cytomel User

Hi,
I am in cytomel 12.5mcg and wondered if you noticed any kind of a weird insulin hypoglycemic reaction when you took this. according to dr. schwarzbein's principle book, cytomel will cause further insulin resistance. as will synthroid. i wonder if anyone loses weight while on these drugs?? need to do more reseach i guess. if you come across anything, please fill me in! thanks and good luck, Kay

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygem
Hi:
I'm new to this so hope I'm getting this in the right forum.
I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about a year and a half ago after quitting smoking. My research on this says that this sometimes triggers a thyroid storm as it did in my case.
The diagnosis was part of a routine annual physical. I asked my doctor to do a thyroid test since it runs in my family.
He called me after the test to inform me that my TSH count was extremely high - in the 9 area and I needed to get started on medication immediately. I started on the Synthroid and became extremely depressed! To the point where I felt like I was walking around in a fog. The symptoms did not clear up with longer usage and I started doing some of my own research.
I discovered that some people do not do well on just the one thyroid hormone, T3 and need to have T4 added.
I bought Mary Shomon's book Living Well With Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You ... It is probably one of the best books about Thyroid disorders ever. She also has a website
http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm
I went back to my GP armed with all my research and he sent me to an endroconlogist - and scheduled another test to see whether I was in fact producing the T4 hormone - I wasn't.
The endro put me on Cytomel - the lowest dose possible (25 mcg, cut in half) but really didn't think it would make much difference.
The depression lifted almost immediately.
In my research when I typed in Cytomel in my search engine, I found that most body builders use this drug to lose weight rapidly.
They take gradually increasing doses - and I guess the weight melts off.
Has anyone heard of people doing this? I'm still on my Synthroid (0.125 mg) and the Cytomel.
I was hoping that this would trigger my metabolism and I'd drop some weight but that hasn't happened. I haven't had my T4 level tested recently but am wondering if I could probably double that dose without any ill effects.
I tried a low carb (no carb) diet for about 2 weeks and got so tired that I re-introduced the carbs - not to the extent I was doing before but the tiredness went away.
I haven't lost anything.
Does the coconut oil change your metabolism.
I also read the posting on ammino acids that stimulate HGH in your system.
Do you do this in addition to lo carbing and coconut oil?
Any ill effects?
I would appreciate hearing from anyone with similar problems.

Ladygem