View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 05:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

The source of the well contamination is documented by both the WDNR and EPA. Certain chemicals are used exclusively for farming. That is why we were given the option of receiving the city water. Our well has a tag that labels it unfit for consumption. I don't believe that saying we should use a bit of caution in light of more and more of this happening is over-reacting.

As I said before, I am not saying that all chemicals are bad. What I am saying is that we all should be more aware of the results of using them and use a bit more caution. If there is a less toxic alternative such as Rotenone instead of Malathion (which is deadly to bees), then why not use the less toxic one? If the mosquito repellent with 10% DEET works, why use one with 100% DEET? What's the point?

As for the lawns, we use an organic weed and feed. It contains a mixture of long-lasting organic fertilizer and ground corn cobs (helps the farmers -- we're using what would be waste products) to inhibit weed growth. It works and I don't have to worry about letting my grandkids go out into the yard to play ball or play on the swing set. It costs a bit more than the do-it-yourself chemicals, but is a fraction of the cost of a lawn service, so we consider it a great alternative.

As far as you being drenched in chemicals, why do some of us get cancer and others don't? No one knows the answer to that. My husband's family farms and his grandmother died of cancer, his dad has cancer, and uncle has cancer. Why? Who knows? If we knew why some of us get cancer and others don't then we would be rich.