View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 09:39
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ok, I realize this is totally off-topic, but Kayte, if you lose your balance on a scale, you might want to work on your proprioception. As you age, you tend to lose your proprioception, which results in avoidable accidents, such as falling down the stairs. You need to work at doing exercises on an unstable base.

The ideal and cheapest tool for this is the fitball. Another way is to walk on a treadmill without holding onto the bars. There are many exercises you can do to challenge proprioception by purposefully not supporting yourself. Even stretching excercises work. Even closing your eyes while performing an excercise works well. Just make sure you are within arm's reach of something to support yourself b/c you will repeatedly lose your balance in the beginning. It's amazing how quickly proprioception improves when you start challenging it.

Here's an article on proprioception if you are interested: Proprioception

...oops I just searched your past posts and found out that you have a disability. That explains the proprioception problem. My apologies, ignore everything I posted...

Wanda