View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 20:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I think it was a great idea to post this article, MisterE...

...in fact, I read it myself on a news site this morning and my first reaction was that it's a cool idea.

However, by the time I got to the end of the article, I felt differently. It's not that I don't approve of a business being enterprising enough to target an audience and offer a service in order to make $$$$. Of course I support that. And I think it's A+++ that they have done their homework and will outfit the place with suitable furnishings and sensitivity/awareness training for their employees. It think it's great that larger folks will have their place in the sun like everyone else.

What turned off on the deal was the thought of ME choosing to vacation there for exactly those same reasons. It just doesn't mesh with who I want to be. In my mind, it's the vacation destination equivalent of a Big n Tall clothing store. I don't want that for me no mo. I don't want to self-identify, first and foremost as a big person. I'm just a person.

As I said, it's a cool idea whose time has come. For big people that want to feel comfortable it's great. And for big people that are totally happy with who they are and just want a place to have fun in the sun with other big folks, it's wonderful. But I have my sights set on being happy on any beach/poolside that I find.

Sorry for rambling...

Donald