View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
When we as a group know as much about the negative health benefits to eating sugar and refined carbohydrates - why do we continue to feed that to them? Does it really do them any good?

Well...first of all, not everyone has a problem with carbs and sugar. Sure, living off that stuff to the exclusion of other much healthier foods is bad for everyone, but I don't honestly believe that everyone should be banned from bread, pasta and desserts forever and ever amen just because I believe that it's healthier to avoid them. How would we all feel if vegetarians suddenly took over the world and we were all forced to give up meat (all that saturated fat that the majority feel is so bad for us)?
When it comes to my kids, I still have the last word as far as what they can and cannot eat while they are under my direct supervision (school is another matter altogether) and they do eat whole fruits, veggies, cheese, meats and yogurts and lower carb whole grain bread. I allow them the occasional ice cream or candy bar (defined as once every couple of weeks) and they each get one bag of regular cereal per month. If they choose to eat it all in one day; fine, but no more until the next month. This teaches them to eat smaller portion sizes and not eat it so often because it didn't take them long to figure out that mom meant it when she said once a month. It also teaches them that there are other choices for breakfast besides Captain Crunch and Pop Tarts (the latter of which never enters my house).
As for the adults; they're adults. I have no right to tell them what they should or shouldn't eat. I know I get very irritated with those that try to tell ME how I should eat. I also don't push my WOE and my choices on anyone else nor would I appreciate it if they tried to do that to me. When I have guests, I cook my regular low carb meals and offer 1 higher carb side such as rolls or potatoes for those that wish to have them, especially if I know them well enough to know that they would appreciate such a choice. If I know that they are on a low fat diet, I also try to provide a lower fat meal. My friends that know I low carb afford me the same courtesy when I eat at their homes; they provide me with choices that are allowed on MY WOE.
If others choose to eat low carb...great! But I'm not the type of person to force another adult to eat like I do even if I do believe that it's far healthier. Freedom of choice...it's a wonderful thing.