View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:40

Plan: my own (S.Beach-ish)
Stats: 272.5/264.5/150 Female 69in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Melissa, nice to meet another homeschooling mom!

I'd be happy to talk about kid diets, anytime

I don't know how old your daughter is, mine have eaten this way since birth. Which has to be lots easier! Hang in there!

A bit of advice, I wouldn't teach her that sugar or specific foods are "Bad". The conventional wisdom from shrinks that specialize in eating disorders is, if you teach them that certain behaviors are bad, when they indulge in them they feel guilty. Too much focus and emphasis on food.

I don't know how much of that is true. My mother always wants to give sweets and empty calories to my 4 year old, and I worried about telling him that her food was bad. What I decided to do was to teach him about health, and the different ways nutritious foods help him grow. Also when you only eat sugar once a month or so, you feel like garbage when you do! Even a child can easily make the connection. Now on his own, he tells grandma, "I like cookies but I will only eat one. Too many will make me feel yucky."

My point is, teach positive health instead of a negative list of foods. What do you think?

Good for you about nixing the transfatty snacks! That stuff scares me silly. I mean, its just not food!