#8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-00, 10:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile hi Jenny, how are you doing??

Hope you are having some luck getting your hands on a good lowcarb resource. Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution is the gold standard, but any of the lowcarb plans I listed in my first post to you are excellent for explaining how carbohydrates work in your body, the roles of insulin and blood sugar, and how careful control of your intake of carbs, along with a balanced intake of protein will improve your health and well-being, as well as weight loss. Pheeww, run-on sentence or what?? Anyway, most public libraries will have at least one of the popular books :
  • Atkins New Diet Revolution
  • Protein Power
  • Carbohydrate Addicts
  • Sugar Busters
  • the Zone
  • Neanderthin
  • .........and others
It is vital that you understand lowcarbing really is a lifestyle change. You've probably noticed on the different sites you've visited that people refer to this as a WOL (way of life) or WOE (way of eating). It's not a "diet", where you follow a formula - eat this for breakfast, this for lunch , this for supper - for a few weeks, lose a few poounds then go back to your old habits. You MUST learn to recognize how food makes your body feel, and how to feed it properly. Lowcarbing isn't just about cutting out sugar and starchy food. It also means replacing all those carbs you cut out with quality protein foods, and quality fats as well. Yes, FATS. Good fat, like nuts, and real butter and cold-pressed olive oil. Not margarine and hydrogenated trans fats.

About exercise, um, I need to improve my own habits here too, but a really good idea would be if you started at it now, not wait till the weight is off. First, it will boost your weight-loss efforts, second, weight-training especially will ensure that the weight you do lose is fat, and not lean muscle.

You sound as though you're headed in the right direction, just need to take a step back a bit, and learn a bit more. We are always here to answer any question you may have.

take care, and please keep us posted.

Doreen