#4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 19:29
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jinxy:

According to Dr. S, there are many causes to low cortisol levels, which include disease, trauma, drug interactions, and/or life-style. As Zandria says, it would indicate burned out adrenal glands.

Cortisol prevents your blood pressure from going too low and also helps prevents low blood sugar. If your cortisol production is too low, you might have to take cortisol hormone replacement. I think she recommends that you change your eating and stress habits first before embarking on hormone replacement if it's lifestyle based low cortisol. However, if it's glandular-based, lifestyle changes won't cure it. I'd have to guess that the cortisol wasn't low enough for her to consider it a glandular-based cause. Endocrinologists in general don't consider adrenal fatigue as a medical condition. That would be far too preventative for their liking. Better to deal with the condition after it's too far gone to heal on its own. As for the psychiatric recommendation. Jeez! It always gets me how some doctors reduce everything to psychiatric problems. How useless they can be sometimes.

Anyway, now that I'm off my soapbox , there are separate chapters on each of the major hormones so it's well worth getting your hands on a copy if you can b/c it gets a bit complicated. I've read the book twice and I'm still learning stuff.

She does mention that low cortisol levels make it impossible to burn off fat weight. Low cortisol levels can manifest with: allergies, arthritis, asthma, candida, chronic fatigue syndrome, degenerative diseases, depresion, fibromyalgia, headaches, insomnia, cystitis, IBS, and/or suppressed immune system.

Is that what you are looking for? Or are you looking for info about the healing program? Let me know.

Ya, WTFE!!

Wanda