View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 16:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I thought about that - being able to drink a non-diet soda, have anorder of onion rings, a piece of pie, whatever. Than thought, why? Why would I go back to that horribly system-insulting way of eating?

Indeed why? Unless you developed diabetes as a result of an autoimmune attack on your pancreas that destroyed your beta cells, why get them cloned and re-implanted only to go back to the way of eating that burned out your beta cells in the first place?
As the saying goes, "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.".

OTOH, once you get good control and get down to your ideal weight, I see no reason not to have an occasional (defined as a couple of times a year) indulgence. Even though I'm not yet at my goal weight, I do indulge in something decadent a couple of times a year, usually around the Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday season, but I also know when I do so that I'll be paying the price for my indulgence as well and go into it with my eyes wide open. Funny thing is that the longer I low carb, the less attractive those indulgences look to me compared to the price that I know I will pay for having them (leg cramps, feeling like crud for a couple of days afterwards, gaining a couple of pounds, etc...).