Cool Buttermilk Pancakes

Ingredients:

1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup vital wheat gluten flour

Mix all ingredients together gently. Let sit for 10 minutes while the batter rises. (This is important.) Cook in a hot grill or skillet, using as much oil as desired. 1/4 cup of batter makes a nice sized pancake.

The batter is very thick. Add up to a 1/4 cup water, if desired, to thin it. (Works best if added prior to rising, but if you add it later stir gently.)

I think it's perfect as is. But if you like a sweeter pancake, add artificial sweeter as desired. For something a little different, a teaspoon or so of cinnamon is a good addition to the batter.

Nutritional Information:

Recipe makes 12 big, fluffy pancakes (which serves about 4 people). Each pancake has:

88 calories
3.4 g carbohydrates
0 g fiber
3.7 g fat (2.2 g saturated fat)
9.3 g protein
25 mg cholesterol
201 mg sodium
57 mg potassium
39 micrograms Vitamin A
77 mg Calcium
0.5 mg Iron
14 IU Vitamin E
15 micrograms Thiamin
755 micrograms Riboflavin
13 mg Niacin
85 mg phosphorous

I'm a pancake lover and have been on a search for the "perfect" low carb pancake. This is my favorite, so far. One serving of three pancakes has 10.2 g carbs, so it's not incredibly low carb, but I think that the taste is worth the carb count. Three pancakes makes a very filling breakfast.

This was adapted from the Fantastic Buttermilk Pancake recipe of The Wildflower Inn in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. All that I did to lower the carb count was to replace the regular flour with low carb wheat gluten flour.
Sponsored Links