View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 07:48

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What are you doing?

I live a high-sweat life--outside a lot doing HEAVY lifting, in the NC summer, mostly without air conditioning. I NEED salt; can die without it. There's a reason hunters put out salt to attract animals.

Salt gets a bad rap because most people eating a traditional diet get way more than we need from chips and other processed food. There has been some association between salt and high blood pressure. I think the LC WOE simply eliminates these problems.

The other problem with salt is that it takes a LOT of water to clear it. Read the kidney chapter in an anatomy book for the details--don't remember the cycle off hand. Our bodies are wired to conserve salt because it's so rare in the natural world; we excrete potassium liberally because it (used to be) plentiful--get it from leaves and fruits and such. You will die OF DEHYDRATION from drinking enough seawater--it takes more water to clear that much salt than you get from drinking seawater.

I recall it takes 1 pound of water to clear 1/4" tsp of salt, so if you eat something that has 1 tsp of salt (could be a nut binge), you WILL gain 4# of water before your body lets go.

I'm inclined to listen to what my body is asking for--if salt is tasting good on any given day, it's probably because I need it.