View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 14:19

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 224/213/140
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hey Sherree!
Isn't it great to hear we're not alone! Wow! Congrats on your progress - Way to go!!

I've just started reading a book, well, actually, I'm reading two books right now and I just got a low-glycemic cookbook also:

The Good Carb Cookbook: Secrets to Eating Low on the Glycemic Index

The Insulin Resistance Diet: How to turn off your Body's Fat Making Machine

• The Carbohydrate Addict's Guide to Heart Health by Keller, keller and ...

I'm also thinking about getting this one: I figure 20-40 dollars on books is a good investment compared to the money I would have to spend on medication down the road if I don't take care of myself now.

The Glucose Revolution Pocket Guide to the Top 100 Low Glycemic Foods

I'm still reading, and if you'd like as I come across great low carb snack ideas I'll let you know. So far I've been snacking on Beef and Turkey jerky, apples w/peanut butter, small amounts of nuts, etc. It's been pretty hard so far to adapt my eating habits. It helps me realize just how badly I'd been eating for so long and I didn't even realize it!

The great thing about both of these books so far (the carb addicts guide and the IR diet) is that they both emphasize establishing new eating habits you can stick with for life, not just until you drop a size or 20 pounds or whatever. Now that I know I have insulin resistance I feel very empowered that I have the ability to change the course I was on. And what an ugly course it would have been! Diabetes... heart disease... medication... no thanks.

The other great thing I'm learning is that my failure to lose weight had nothing to do with my will power. I never stood a chance with my body producing fat all the time because of having too much insulin. I'm really amazed by the concept and consider myself absolutely fortunate to have found a doctor that would listen to me and recognize that I have a problem. I wish I would have taken my brother's advice to find a new doctor sooner!

I'll let you know more about great snacks as I read about them. I'll browse through my cookbook this weekend too.

Have a great weekend! Tina