#3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 00:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/223/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default I called them on the carpet

There's too much positive evidence and easily available facts about this way of life to allow flaming ignorant reporters to do their job so incompetently without being put on notice. We have to look past just the positive points this article makes to realize it's not truly a completely positive article. It needlessly bad-mouths the diet (in what it wrongly claims it involves) which could turn some newbies off. We need them once and for all to GET THE STORY RIGHT about what the Atkins Diet is, rather than grab onto some of the very latest studies, and still use the old incorrect "templates" in even (mis)reporting them.

Accordingly, I emailed their senior editor (thanks for the first post in this thread providing a link to the article source and feedback links to the telegraph.co.uk it originated from).

Here's what I emailed... I had a better version, but it disappeared in their flakey online form - careful to save a copy before hitting submit.

re: recent article Pass the Lard.

It's too bad the two authors Olga Craig and Robert Matthews didn't do their homework more thoroughly to realize that there were several crucially important 6-month medical studies published in 2002 that Atkins was able to enjoy which demonstrated his diet is healthier. In fact, on his last Larry King TV show half a year ago, King asked Atkins how it felt to be vindicated, and Atkins responded positively.)
How your reporters missed those widely publicized studies is a mystery, but the fact that they also misreported this diet from incorrect sources as being only meat and cheese, without veggies / fruits further suggests neither of your reporters bothered to even skim the first chapter of his book. Vegetables are not only allowed, but in fact an enjoyable essential part of his diet. Fruit is allowed in numerous examples as well. That's pretty lame journalism in not even accurately describing what the diet involves. Let's hope they are more careful next time they report on a diet, by getting more than just half the story right and having to eat low-carb crow. Details matter, especially when they're so easy to verify as in this case.