View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 14:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I had spine surgery in December and spent one night in the hospital. I had nothing to eat from 10:00 p.m. the night before and they brought me dinner that evening, still didn't feel like eating, but I chewed a lot.

You will have an IV during surgery and afterwards that will help keep you hydrated. You may talk to them about one without sugar, I'm diabetic and they gave me one without.

Afterwards I would eat what sounds good, keep some chicken broth on hand, when I felt better I added some diced chicken to it or some broccoli and cheese and cream -- it was winter time and that just hit the spot. This seemed to be very easy on my stomach and was low in carbs.

It also took me about 6 weeks to get all the anethesia out of my body -- I was foggy headed for that long, so I think drinking a lot of water for that would help. Anethesia and the pain meds they said could cause some constipation so I took Benefiber (a tasteless powder you mix with liquid), it has no sugar in it and was very easy on my system. The doctor suggested the metamucil fiber wafers and I brought her the benefiber and she said that would even be better for me. One way I took it was to mix it with sugar free cocoa with whipped cream on top for a nightly yummy. If you look at cocoa I think the diet one has less carbs than the no sugar added, if I remember that correctly.

I hope this helps and best wishes on your surgery! Let us know how you are doing.

Debi