View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 06:59

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%
Default The Bars

As I understand it, there are a couple reasons why they might stall people. I haven't heard anything about them being "bad" for you (except of course that they aren't a great substitute for natural foods).

Ok, as I understand things:

First, they use a lot of glycerin, from 15 to 40 carbs worth. Glycerin has been shown to not have a significant effect on blood insulin levels so they are allowed to leave it off their "net carbs" count. But many have claimed the bars stalled them, so people have begun looking suspiciously at the glycerin. Note that others eat the bars without any trouble.

Second, many of the bars have sugar alcohols. These are also suspected stallers. For this reason, some bars specifically do not, like the Atkins bars. Here's a link about sugar alcohols:
http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html

So anyway, you might try giving up the bars just for a week and see what happens. If nothing changes, start again with the bars and try giving up diet sodas for a week. I suspect that many stalls happen just because people get in a rut or pattern of eating that the body adapts to. Sometimes it's good just to change things up to break the pattern. Here's a quote from an article from Men's Fitness:
Quote:
The body is lazy: Once it has adapted to a pattern (achieved homeostasis), it will work just enough, no more, no less, to maintain that balance. To continue getting leaner, the body must not be allowed to become complacent. It has to be gently shocked into continued adaptation.

Another link you might be interested in is this one on weight loss stalls: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html

Don't worry - you'll figure it out! If you spend any time on these boards you'll see that countless people have stalled and broken through. It's just a matter of when