View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 11:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Kacey, Kat123 & rfred -

Thanks for your answers. The cardio I'm doing does seem to be working well -- the weight is coming off, so I'm not too worried about that for now. I just want to be sure to tone and to regain some of the muscle I lost while I could not work out.

The resistance training is a great idea! I do have an exercise ball that came with tapes, and my DH has resistance bands that he used for PT after shoulder surgery.

I agree that intensity and mixing things up are good. Before my hip injury I was alternating exercise bike, Tae-Bo, and treadmill. I am not a runner, and at my age and with my joints, I never will be. But I use the incline and vary the speed on the treadmill so that I usually burn 325 - 425 calories (according to the display) in the a.m. Also have been walking for 30 min. at lunch and now that the weather is warm enough, after work I've been able to do the only 'running' that I'm able to do -- 'pool jogging'. I have a above ground 52 inch deep, 24 ft. round pool, and I run in the water for 30 - 45 min. as many days as I can. The resistance from the water is great! Yet, because of the water, there is no stress on the joints at all and no matter how hot it is outside I never get overheated. As soon as it stays a bit warmer at night, I'll run in the pool in the a.m. instead of using the treadmill.

Again, thanks for your terrific suggestions.