View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 167/140/135
BF:30%/20%/15%
Progress: 84%
Default Intense cardio -- yeah, but ....

In ''The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution,'' by Fredrick Hahn, Dr. Michael R. Eades and Dr. Mary Dan Eades (those last two are the authors of "Protein Power"), the authors assert that resistance training of the type they advocate makes additional cardio work unnecessary. This is said in the context of getting fit and healthy, not specifically in the context of weight loss. My recent experience has been that I can walk up stairs more easily (i.e., without getting winded) after 3 months of Slow Burn work.

On the other hand, it seems undeniable that doing cardio work at high intensity and for a considerable time will burn enough calories to have an effect on weight loss. When I had good knees and ran 40+ miles/week, I ate prodigiously and kept my weight about where it is now, maybe a little lower. When I had to stop , I put on a good bit of weight before coming to understand that I could no longer eat like a distance runner can.

My point is that I am cautious about using cardio workouts as an element of weight loss -- cautious but not condemnatory. So long as one stays aware of the impact of the exercise on diet and is ready to make adjustments when and if the exercise has to stop, it seems like a good idea -- but it is easy to lose sight of where those calories are going.