View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

BONK is probably what you refer to as hitting the wall. (I think BONK is what cyclist refer to it as and the WALL is what runners call it. ) If you were in a car...OUT OF GAS LOL

I've biked most of my adult life. I was up to 305 about this time a year ago. That is when I bought my mountain bike, aka...FAT A$$ BIKE! LOL I didn't want to subject my race bike to that weight. Of course, I did give myself a goal last October... I bought a brand new TREK 5200, custom paint job, the works. The same bike that was used in the Tour de France by the USPS team. Told myself I couldn't ride it till I got below 250. I was 275 then. My wife would kill me if I didn't meet that goal. LOL She said that if I let it become a $3600 dust collector...well, you get the rest.

So, the date of 12/26 is when I started Atkins and I was 270 then. I've hit a plateau for the last 30 days at around 234 but, I'm not too worried. I just hang in there and keep peddling my butt on the roads. BTW, the new bike is AWSOME!!!!!! Well, except for the seat. I'm replaceing that very soon. Yesterdays' ride was a bit, umm, numbing. LOL

so, getting back to the topic, I think you want to keep a pace that is sufficient to keep you happy and yet keep you out of bonk. I think that if you take in 10-20 extra carb grams (depending on the calories you burn during the run) that you would be OK.

As to when...I tend to take them in during the ride as needed. So, on those good days where I don't feel the bonk approach, I man not take in any extra carbs. HOWEVER...I always replace the calories expended during the workout! The other thing to consider it recovery time. If you stay slow to moderate, you may not find a need to take in many extra carbs even if you are running on a daily basis. However, if you do extend yourself on a daily basis, then the carbs might assist in faster recovory. Now, that being said, if you extend yourself every other day, you may find that is sufficient recovery time to avoid the extra carbs.

Everyone is different. YMMV! I have found that part of the fun is experimenting a bit and learning what works for me.

GOOD LUCK!