View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 14:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/219/168
BF:
Progress: 44%

Apologies in advance if this gets a bit techno and strays from the low-carb theme, but I'd like to help sandy on this one if I can.

Yeah sandy, that's what I meant, Sorry, should have made that a bit clearer maybe.

Most music that you can download from the net is recorded at 128kbps or higher.
128kbps is generally regarded to be 'near CD quality'. 160kbps is regarded as 'CD quality', anything higher is getting into the realms of 'Studio quality'
I record my own music from CDs for my mp3 player at 64kbps, this is generally accepted to be equivalent to 'FM radio quality'.

I keep the music for my mp3 player in a folder of it's own, so as to keep it seperate from the rest of my music. This is what I meant by 'especially to use on the mp3 player'

I don't know what software you use but I can recommend 'Musicmatch Jukebox'. It can record and play mp3s.
If you have a CDwriter it can be used to make audio cds, and you can even use it to convert different music formats into mp3s, at whatever kbps level you choose.

I've never tried mp3.com but have tried many similar sites, peer 2 peer file sharing programs such as 'WINMX' can be useful too. These programs are similar to the infamous 'Napster'.
Anything you download from there will be at least 128kbps, sometimes as high as 320kbps (the higher the kbps, the bigger the file)
If I download music I then convert it to whatever kbps level I require with 'Musicmatch'

I know I keep banging on about 'kbps', but, unfortunately you need to take this into account unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money.

Hope that's a bit clearer, I'm quite handy with anything technical but communication is not one of my strong points - LOL

Karl