View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:08

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default cowboy coffee

Amy, Great idea! Or if you can get your hands on a coffee press that would take care of the grounds issue for you.. I'm taking mine next time I go camping.

It depends on if you have refrigeration or not I guess.
If I were going camping i'd take flaxomeal for breakfast.. homemade or store-bought. It's the easiest, just add boiling water. Maybe make protein bars for snacks, and nuts & cheese sticks, cream cheese tubs with premade lc crackers or cheese "chips" for dipping, maybe mexican seven-layer dip with lc crackers, chips or whatever. Or tuna salad since the cans are so convenient. For lunch I'd consider hot dogs, hamburgers, simple taco's (meat, cheese, lc tortillas, etc) homemade chili (prepared beforehand) a number of low carb soups, precooked chicken you can reheat over the fire. shish kebabs? Just throwing some ideas out there.

As for s'mores..
you could try roasting some nuts in a ball of tinfoil on the fire perhaps? Not sure how it would work but it might be fun to try. You could even season them or try one of the recipes for pseudo honey roasted nuts.

This might be more trouble than it's worth but you could make your own low carb marshmallows.. I'm considering this for my next camping trip. I don't know how well they will toast though. You could even eat it with a piece of SF chocolate, but i don't know what you could do for the graham cracker.

"Marshmallows"

3 packets Knox gelatin -- or 3T. bulk gelatin
1/2 cup splenda
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup boiling water
-Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a mixing bowl.
-Set aside for 5 minutes to soften.
-Add to boiling water in saucepan; cook and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
-Remove from heat.
-Cool to consistency of thick syrup.
-Stir in SplendaŽ and vanilla.
-Beat egg whites till soft peaks begin to form.
-Very slowly, trickle a small stream of gelatin mixture into egg white, beating until all gelatin is mixed in.
****Continue beating until light and fluffy (but not until they're dry.)
-Pour into pan, cool to set, and cut (smaller for "mini" marshmallows)!
-Perfect to sprinkle over puddings or berries and divine over pumpkin pie or mock sweet potato casserole!
-Entire recipe =14 carbs
-**Original recipe{9.5 carbs} called for 5 packets of Splenda but I found it wasn't sweet enough.Recipe fills a 9x13 pan!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTE: The recipe says to beat till fluffy!They sure mean that too!I thought I would beat just till peaks formed....well, I did it too much!The mallows set really quick when it is overbeaten!
C.