View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 21:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

If a private organization accepts public funds, then there may be potential freedom of speech issues here.

I got this from their website: Legislation is pending in the U.S. Congress authorizing $20 million in federal funding specifically to help local YMCAs serve more at risk teens. In order to make this bill law, IT IS CRITICAL YOU WRITE YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS ASKING THEM TO CO-SPONSOR THIS LEGISLATION! Simply click on "Contact Congress" to send a pre-written form letter. You can also send a letter inviting your representatives to visit your teen programs. It couldn't be easier! Click here for more information.

As it turns out, in addition to government funds, the YMCA has a major carb company, PepsiCo, as a sponsor:

(link to this statement)

YMCA of the USA launched its corporate strategic alliance initiative in the fall of 1997. The goal of the initiative is to secure corporate sponsors willing to dedicate people power, funding, advertising and promotions, and in-kind resources, which will benefit the YMCA, mission, programs and services nationwide. YMCA of the USA's Corporate Relations team reviews, negotiates and manages all alliances in accordance with the National Board guidelines and policies.

Current national sponsors, listed in alphabetical order, of the YMCA of the USA are:

Best Buy Children's Foundation
Hanes, Champion Athleticwear and MadeToOrder.com
JCPenney Afterschool
KFC Colonel's Kids/Entertainment Industry Foundation
Kimberly-Clark Corporation
PepsiCo, Inc., Pepsi-Cola Company, Tropicana Products, Inc
For more information about corporate sponsorship opportunities, contact Mia Ahmann, National Sponsorship Development Manager, at 312-419-8896.

Here is how they address problems (link to site):

Who do I contact if I have a concern about my Y?
If you have a concern about your YMCA, please contact your YMCA directly. If you know a volunteer or staff member at the YMCA, share your concern with him or her. If you would like to pursue the issue further, we recommend you contact your YMCA's executive director or chair of the board to talk about the matter. He or she will be willing to listen to your thoughts. Or you could write a letter directly to the chair of your local YMCA board because the board oversees the YMCA. If you are complaining about something at your YMCA, it's helpful if you offer a solution.