View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 17:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

Hi,

As Karen stated, on page 288 of the 1992 edition of Dr. A's book he discusses going on a reversal diet. If you continue on to page 289 he has the following to say.

The following is is taken from the bottom of page 288 and continues on to page 289.

"Suppose you develop a longing for a specific food category such as fruit or pasta? You may want to go on an all-fruit diet for three or four days, or an all-pasta diet. This radical departure from what you've been doing so successfully for quite a stretch may seen counterproductive, but is serves a few purposes. it allows you not to have to say to yourself, "I can never eat my favorite food again," and it acts as a metabolic reversal technique, which can sometimes jump-start the low carbohydrate diet, if it has show any signs of slowing down. Let me explain.

After many months on a diet which works by virtue of forcing the body to take inefficient metabolic pathways, and thus dissipating hundres of calories as heat (which presumabily is what happens on a strict low-carbohydrate diet), the body may begin to adapt by becoming more efficient, thereby slowing the rate of weight loss. Don't panic as you read this--this adaptation to the lipolytic pathway has never been scientifically demonstrated. Most of you will be able to reach your goal weight and stay there without ever noticing the adaption phenomenon. But some of you will get the sense that the rate of weight loss has slowed inordinately. You should consider a period of time on a reversal diet. "

Than he goes on to warn that symptoms cleared up by the low-carb. diet may return.

I can't even venture to guess as to why this was taken out of new editions of his books.

I was in SE Asia for a few weeks and went on a low fat/high carbohydrate diet and it worked fine for me. When I returned to the US I went back on Atkins (Induction) for 2 weeks without problems. As far as jump-starting weight loss, I can't honestly answer that. I have not stepped on a scale in quite a long time, but my jeans are fitting more baggy in the waist and hips. Guess this could be a YMMV thing.

Hope I was able to answer your question a little.