View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/146/144 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. The coconut oil I used I found at my local health food store, it's a 15 oz plastic jar and the brand name is Spectrum Essentials (www.spectrumorganic.com). It has no preservatives and the only ingredient is 100% refined coconut oil. It is of course solid at room temp. The directions for use are only as a topical skin and hair conditioner but since it's 100% pure with no additives I figured there was no problem with eating it. It's deordorized.

As for the recipe, unfortunately I just kind of added the cocoa and splenda to taste but this would be my best guess:

- 1/2 cup liqufied coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 - 2 tbls. splenda
- scant dash salt

I will warn you, the splenda doesn't seem to want to dissolve even if you heat the coconut oil till it's hot. I had more luck with a bit of powdered stevia and I felt better about using it as well because I know it doesn't impact on my blood sugar. So, in my first attempt at making this I see that the splenda that I added just kind of stayed on top of each of the "chocolates", I don't think the salt dissolved either.

Another warning: this is the first time I've eaten splenda, cocoa or coconut oil on this WOE and I notice I'm having trouble with cravings today since I had this. I don't know which of the three ingredients are causing the problem, I think maybe in my case the splenda and the cocoa are probably the most suspect. Anyway, just thought I would mention this. Cocoa isn't on the approved food list for induction so I really have no business trying it anyway. I'm kind of regretting it, I had a clean induction before I did this but oh well, I'll just keep on keeping on. If any of you try it let me know what you think!

Other ways to use it, I was thinking I could just replace it for butter that I would be using in anything as long as I add salt, I think it would be about the same idea. I got a recipe for flax meal cereal (to keep me regular) on another board and I think I'll replace the butter in that with coconut oil. If you want that recipe here it is:

- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/8 cup whole flax seeds (because I like to chew them up)
- 1/3 scoop vanilla protein mix (no carb)
- 1/2 cup purified water
- dash salt

microwave until it grows (happens very fast, take it out as soon as it starts to swell), stir and mic it again until it grows a bit again (don't mic too long because excessive heat also kills the good stuff in the flax seed oil). Take it out and add 2 tbls. butter. This cereal is very gooey but I really like it and it does the trick. Sometimes I put a tbls. of heavy cream in it as well. I only eat about a third of this recipe each day and I save the rest. The next day it's pretty solid so you have to add a dash of water and mic is briefly again. Also, make sure to drink LOTS of water while using this porridge or it might make matters worse.