#6   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

Here is what Diet Power says about potassium:

Like sodium, potassium helps to regulate the body's water balance, transmit nerve impulses, and trigger muscle contractions. Unlike sodium, however, it is not implicated in hypertension¾in fact, it appears to reduce blood pressure.

Potassium is not overabundant in our diet. The average American consumes about 2500 milligrams per day - just a little above the estimated daily minimum of 2000 milligrams. The Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) suggests that 3500 milligrams would be more healthful. To reach that level, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetable - especially bananas, potatoes, and oranges. Other good sources are milk products, peanut butter, and nuts.

Potassium, like sodium, can be toxic if taken in large amounts. Symptoms include irregular heartbeat and muscle paralysis.

OK, that being said....

Potassium suppliments are limited by law to 99 mg unless you have a prescription for higher doses. As I found out, if you are in a sport/exercise program where you will be sweating a lot, you need to replace basic electrolytes. I found that with all the water I was drinking that I was starting to have night cramps. Here is what has worked for me.

1. I take in about 1/2 tsp a day of Morton's Salt Substitute. That provides about 1200 mg of potassium. Use good judgement. If you use a program like Diet Power to monitor your food intake, this should be a rather simple thing to experiment with to achieve the perviously stated guidlines. It is CHEAP too.

2. I make sure I get sufficient magnesium & calcium. About 600 & 2500 mg per day respectively. In fact, it wasn't until I made sure I was getting the calcium that my cramps finally stopped.

3. Sodium has never been a problem.