#5   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 19:05

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 188/173/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Lightbulb Oh Yeah!!

You've been thinking, sister!

One of the reasons that I finally figured out that a low-carb plan was the way for me was when I sat one night, around Christmas, and ate almost an entire tin of Quality Street chocolates, just because. The next day I woke up with a terrible chocolate hangover! I felt nauseated and headachey and slow-witted and weak. I thought I was coming down with something. I didn't eat much until later in the day I had some toast (3 slices) and then had some more toast (2 slices) and then just one more, with peanut butter and Jam (for dessert) and almost immediately started feeling better.

This is a pattern for me. Carbs then carbs then some carbs. And some carbs for dessert. With some carbs. It was that day that I started thinking about the effect that carbs have on my mood and my energy. Both are negative when I eat carbs. I started to chart my eating and after a week I realized that carbs was all I ate, aside from some occasional meat, chicken and vegies.

My mother, in her infinite wisdom, tried to convince me to go on weight watchers with her but I knew that until I got up the strength and courage to try to go cold turkey with the carbs, I was going to wallow in toast (and frenchfries and potato chips and rice and...)

In retrospect, I can see now that some of the sadness and mild insanity that I have been dealing with for the last couple of years has nothing to do with my children (but don't tell them that) or my husband, and everything to do with food. Carbs bring me down.

So, in short (OK not so short), yes, I have found that I suffer from sadness, mild insanity, bloaty, farty, headachey blech when I consume too many carbs.

Thank you for posting this - it helps me to realize that I am not alone in this feeling.

Goose