View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 10:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I've noticed the same thing. We can't know EVERYTHING in the begginging, no matter how many books we've read. After a week of losing up to a lb a day, it's hard when you wake up the first day of the second week only to discover that you've lost nothing or even gained a few back. You start examining what you've possibly done wrong. The euporia is suddenly gone. And it doesn't help when people are suddenly yelling at you for being concerned.

I know that this is how I felt. I had so much faith in Atkins before I started that I was sure it was going to work for me. I saw those pounds flying off for the first week and I thought to myself "Wow. This is it. This one's going to work". When that second week came and I had gained 3 lbs, I was depressed. I had faith and it "let me down." I figured "Dammit. This is just like all those other fad diets. It just doesn't work anymore.".

Of course, I know now that this just isn't true. I stuck with it, and I'm on a more steady course now. I haven't lost any more lbs since the first week, but I'm down 12 inches and am wearing jeans that are 4 sizes smaller. Not to mention that my eating habits are excellent and I have NEVER had that in my entire life. What other people call a "cheat", I call a breakthrough because it means that I've only eaten one bad thing that week instead of that hour. I was critisized by quite a few people when I chose to "cheat" one day. What people don't realize (or have forgotten) is that a lot of us newcomers are coming from YEARS of bad eating. We've quit pretty much cold turkey. We can't be expected to be perfect, or even desire to be perfect on this WOE.

The bottom line is that we're learning. And most unintentionally, we're learning how to eat sensibly. And I think that is the most important thing.

~Angi~