View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:14
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Wouldn't the "simple" ingredients in semi-sweet baking chocolate include sugar? Unsweetened baking chocolate contains no sweeteners at all, and is thus acceptable for use in low-carb dessert recipes, but I'm almost positive that all of the sweetened versions use plain old sugar. Artificial sweeteners don't always bake well, so I'd be surprised if they were sweetening the chocolate with anything else.

Unsweetened chocolate is a little less than 4g per 1oz square, so it sounds like there's almost a teaspoonful of pure sugar in your chocolate providing those extra carbs. Sugar alcohol may create stalls and cravings, but it's got nothing on sugar in that department. You'd do much better to eat a low-carb bar than something containing that much sucrose, which will have much greater effects on your insulin.

I don't mean to be harsh, vickiel, but semi-sweet baking chocolate IS NOT A LEGAL FOOD for a low-carb diet. It's no different than eating a small chunk of a Hershey bar -- it is a cheat, and should be avoided. True, the net carbs aren't that high, but you may want to see what Dr. Atkins has to say about why even smaller doses of refined carbs should be avoided.