View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 18:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Jim!

Actos is a new Antidiabetic drug approved by the FDA in 1999. It works by both increasing insulin sensitivity and also by inhibiting glucagon production by the liver. The general precautions that I've read state that those with a history of liver, heart or kidney problems should let their doctors know of that history before taking Actos as the drug may not be suitable for them.

Glipizide is a sulfonylurea drug ( ). Sulfonylureas work by stimulating your pancreas to produce more insulin which will eventually contribute to beta cell burnout even if they are effective at controlling blood glucose for a while (personally, I want to keep as many beta cells as I still have and not lose any more than I have to!).

I couldn't find anything about Glucophage causing kidney problems, although there were general warnings for those with existing liver or kidney problems to alert their doctors before taking Glucophage as those with existing liver or kidney problems can develop a very serious (often fatal) problem called lactic acidosis in which dangerous levels of lactic acid build up in the bloodstream and cannot be removed due to the liver and kidneys being unable to handle them in a compromised state.