View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 18:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/126.7/118
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Induction Confusion- HELP

Ok, I am new to the Atkins diet, on day 3 and have lost 3.5 pounds. I have two questions in reaction to some stuff I have read on here that is confusing to me. Let me preface this by saying that I have been a member of eDiets for a year, and on Monday chose to switch to Atkins due to slow results and also Crohns. For those of you who don't know, eDiets is a pay website that will give you food plans and exercise plans to help you reach your goal, and also have lots of support and challenges to keep you motivated. They let you pick the plan, and then give you a menu with many foods to choose from. So here are my questions:

1) If you do 20 carbs as is needed during induction, but 4 of your carbs come from something that is not on Atkins induction list, say carrots or a piece of chocolate, are you going to eliminate your ketosis by eating them, even if you are still at 20 carbs? Or is the point just to eliminate them so as not to cause cravings and binges? eDiets lets me chose my veggie, and doesn't exclude any of them, even though it is supposed to be an Atkins plan.,

2) I have read taht in the absence of insulin taht fat in fact only gives off 5 calories instead of 9. If ediets has me on 1500 calories, with 90 grams of fat, am I in fact 360 calories short due to reduced calories of the fat? I have suffered from starvation mode in the past on eDiets where my metabolism could not keep up with my activity level based on the calories I was eating, therefore I didn't lose weight. I don't want this to happen again, once this intitial spurt occurs, but then again I don't want to eat an extra 360 calories if I don't need them, ya know? Can any one help?

Thanks a bunch in advance
Nannie
Sponsored Links