View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/froggirl hodgepodge of hope! lol
Stats: 180/158/120
BF:
Progress: 37%

IF you need these medications...ask your endo for a glucose machine. The insurance companies have a deal with most so you get a free machine!! I think (opinion) if you are serious enough to need blood sugar medications...you should probably be monitoring your glucose!!! I was checking mine three times a day...It taught me a WHOLE lot about my body. I now am off all my meds...just thru monitoring, a little exersise, and LC'ing. Diabetes II is serious!

I will say in order to finally get my health under control, I had to be VERY PRO ACTIVE. Just because they are a MD does NOT mean they know more about your body than you do. Testing glucose every few months really doesn't show you the fluctuations you are expieriencing. Not to mention with a tool right there in front of you...it's instant gratification or a good scolding. (haha) Just ask for one, you'll probably get it. Hopefully you have insurance. The test strips are VERY expensive! I get 100 a month. I pay $20.00 but the strips are $80.00!

Good luck and let me know how you are doing!! I hope I do not sound "preachy". I have alot of diabetics in my family. PCOS is terrible...but if you keep on that track you get BLINDNESS, LOSS OF FEELING IN LIMBS, HEART TROUBLE, SUGAR COMAS< AND A MILLION OTHER NOT SO NICE THINGS!

Make sure and talk to your DR about the side effects also. The first couple of weeks on glucophage ask to gradually increase your dose. You can have some nasty side effects..Painfull gas and other intestinal difficulties.. Don't worry just read up on it alot of it is very normal to start off! It does go away.