View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 12:22

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Spectrum Naturals sells a organic coconut oil, which undergoes a brief, low-heat (200 degrees Farenheit, steam process) deordorization to remove the smell, at a reasonable price ($4.69/14 oz. jar in CA). If you have a natural foods grocery store nearby, they may have it or be willing to order it. If you can't get it locally, and you live on the west coast, you can order it from Azure Standard, either by the jar or the case. If you live elsewhere, search the web for a distributor near you.

In his book The Healing Miracles of Coconut Oil, Bruce Fife, N.D., recommends the Omega Nutrition brand, which is also deodorized. I am leery of oil stored in plastic containers, though; I prefer Spectrum Naturals' glass packaging.

In all the reading I've done (and that I can understand as a lay person), I can't find any reference to whether the oils used for research were completely natural or deodorized. So, try the deodorized oil first. If you notice no benefit, try the more expensive oil.

Spectrum Naturals used to market an organic, unrefined coconut oil at a reasonable price. They withdrew it, due to complaints about the strong smell. I and others have let the company know that there is a market for the unrefined oil. The official response is that the company is looking for a distributor for the unrefined oil. If you would like to call Spectrum Naturals and encourage them to sell organic, unrefined coconut oil. their customer relations number is (800) 995-2705 (PST).