Old Tue, May-13-03, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 224/209/175
BF:38/36/28
Progress: 31%
Default Turnips

Hello This is my 2 cents on turnips-
When you go to buy them look for the one's that are of medium size and very white with purple tops in color. Large size will be tuff and piffy. very small one's there won't be much left after peeling them.
My folk's were from the deep south and cooked these many times during the week. Each and every week. They raised 5 of us kids and were excellent farmer's. Not that us kids were planted in the ground he he. But I offen use to think some of my sisters and brothers were dumber than dirt. Any way peel and slice about 8 or 10 of them 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick enough for a 2 quart pan. Cover with water and add 1 1/2 table spoons of bacon drippings. Cover with lid and boil till fork tender.
Salt and pepper to taste add some butter or sour cream if you like. The house may smell like cooked cabbage you may want to burn a candle. To me the smell takes me back to a time when life was so much more simpler. Sure wish I could have them times back.

PS. I'm looking for a Way-Back Machine Upgrade anyone see's one please send to me. thanks.