View Single Post
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 23:40
Italian Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Lisa N - one thing before I leave this debate....The people that you say are victims of drug abusers are unfortunate. They are just as unfortunate as as victims of alcoholics. In fact, there are studies that link much more abusive behaviour from alcoholics than from those who smoke, say, marijuana. Alcolhol, however is legal.

My point is, that by your logic, alcohol should be illegal as well. It is proven to kill it's abusers, cause violent behaviour and is addictive. But...it's not illegal. And I will bet you that even the most causual wine consumer (the ones who cook with it only and not even drink it) would balk at another prohibition.

My vision for society is choice. I do not want my freedoms taken away as they are now. You say the spouse, parent, brother sister, uncle is a victim of an substance abuser? Actually, they are a victim of themselves. It as disorder called co-dependency. It is the psychological need to be with an abusive person because of several reasons. These people need help, yes, with their own brains. They do not know how to exercise their choice to not be abused. If children are involoved, this is very sad. Just as sad for a child of an alcoholic as it is for a crack-head. Taxes would help provide homes for them.

People who use alcolohol or drugs should be held accountable for violence and crime just as those who don't abuse. There are people who are murderers and killers that don't touch any substances. Dahmer, Manson....

Many folks have never really been down the roads that would give them the experiences needed to be truly insightful on this subject. Not that I am saying you are naiive, Lisa N.

LOL, I see no one touched my point on prostitution above...

Anyway...

After thinking about it, I am sorry that I posted my opinions here. I beleive I am radical in my ideals and really don't wish to enrage anyone that comes here to innocently read about nutrition. I am not apologizing for my opionions, just for exercising them here. I did not want to start a flame war.

my political ramblings about drugs and such belong on political boards, not here. very sorry.

ciao

p.s. cc48510 and gotbeer, thanks for so eloquently stating your support for my opinions