View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-01, 18:16
Registered Member

Plan: Type 2 Diabetes/Protein Power/Self-Designed Program
Stats: 240/180/140
BF:
Progress:

I'm sorry to hear that your father inlaw is not doing so well right now. It's hard when you don't know what the answers should be and when you hear so many conflicting ones. Perhaps you are right, if physicians listened or had the time to or took the time to, then maybe we would be a little healthier, but for now it's big money to look at someone for five minutes, write a prescription and tell them to come back in a week for another huge fee! No wonder mothers tell their sons to grow up to be doctors and their daughters to marry one!

Back to your father inlaw. I really only know the basics of diabetes, but enough to know that diet plays the major role in remaining healthy. Sometimes we don't want to know an answer, so we don't ask. Maybe being a little quiet in your approach may have a different outcome.

Today at the office I had a woman approach me and ask me how I'm losing so much weight. I thought before responding because only yesterday one other employee ranted and raved about a friend of hers being on a low carb diet and she had kidney stones diagnosed as a result of the diet. I listened to the others responses and decided that for now an anonymous approach to my diet was best without confronting fifteen women who believe that low carbing is life threatening. I told her that I'd given up wheat products and sugars! She smiled and said she could never give up her sugar and then asked what I ate. As though wheat and sugar are the only two staples in a diet. I smiled and said vegetables, some fruit and lean meats and cheese. This satisfied her went back to work and the fifteen other women sitting at the staff meeting table all began discussing it in a different light and even a few pushed to know more about it. I never once mentioned it being low carb or a protein diet. But now I worry that they won't research it enough and read read read up on the rules and regulations that make it healthy. We all see and hear and believe what we want to know, beyond that we are infants. If nothing else, I have them thinking of what I'm doing and I don't know if it's right for everyone, but for some it is. My husband tried it for three weeks, lost twenty pounds and complained constantly how hungry that he was. He quit, gained back all of it in less than a month and now thinks that maybe if he'd stuck to it, that he might have been somewhere on it by now. Will power and knowing where you are going is the burden of any diet, but the final result is where we want to be. This is a life style, not a diet for my health. Perhaps, your father in law will respond to a quiet approach to eating if he is kept full and just feeling better may help him fight to win his battle.

Okay! That was way long and I'm thinking of going for a walk if the temp ever drops below 105 degrees! Too hot to do anything except wait for the sun to go down.

Good luck in your trials and I'll keep you all in my prayers (if that is acceptable on this forum to mention)!

Kathy