View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 16:20

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 199.5/153.1/150 Female 5'11"
BF:36.3%/28.5%/27%
Progress: 94%
Question Discrepancies between digi and cheapie scale!

Hiya... I know this topic has been discussed, but I couldn't find an answer to my particular question regarding a digital scale vs a cheapie scale. So, here we go:

I started this WOL with a very cheap (and I do mean about $6 from K-Mart!!!) scale. It seemed fairly consistent, although I had to re-zero it a lot. I always put it in the exact same spot (along my kitchen floor tiles) to weigh, and only sometimes would it give me 1-2 lb variations. Whenever it did that, I just estimated myself a half-pound between those weights.

Yesterday morning the cheap scale weighed me in at 185.5. My new scale weighed me in at 181.6 this morning!!!! So of COURSE I hopped on the cheap scale to see if I had REALLY just lost that weight (though I am too smart to believe that! ), and it'd dropped to 184.5. So we're talking about a 3lb difference!

I re-weighed myself on both scales probably four times each. They both seem fairly "accurate" (as far as scales go), but there is still that 3lb difference.

So what I want to know is... WHICH ONE IS RIGHT?!

I've decided that since I started out with the cheap scale, I'll use that for my Sunday weigh-ins (how I guage my progress from the beginning). But I'll be using the digital scale for morning weigh-ins to make my weekly averages (since it measures to the .1 or something like that. )

Anyone else run into this?

But I'm most confused about whether I should redo my start weight to the 3 pounds... or what? Or change my goal weight? I originally based my goal weight on the last time I felt confidently slim. I knew I was somewhere around 170-175 (with no love handles on my back, most importantly!) and that weight came off of a bathroom scale and kind of a cheapie. So should I base my weight on the cheap one I already have?

Also I read on the bottom of the scale to have damp feet to do the body fat percentage function. I never tried it with damp feet and get 31% every time. My husband thinks I am a kook for believing a little box can measure my bodyfat, but I actually did a few different kinds of body fat calculators online and they came out to 31% also!

= Meagan
Sponsored Links