View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 08:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 62
BF:1/1/1
Progress: 51%
Default Restaurants!

I hate cooking, so I am the queen of takeout (and every restaurant does takeout, even if they don't advertise it) - so I thought I'd chip in my 2 cents here.

Applebees, Red Robin and TGIF - they all have great steaks and good salads. At Applebees or Red Robin, the ribs are awesome w/out the bbq sauce (ask for it on the side). At TGIF, most of the steaks come with their "loaded baked potato" so ask for the toppings on the side - sour cream, bacon, cheese, and butter - and then use those toppings on your salad or steak.
Friday's also has a chicken thing with melted cheese and peppers and onions.

Friendlys has good grilled burgers, just ask for no bread, and they'll accomodate you.

Perkins and Denny's have awesome omelets, served at any time of day - ham and cheese are my favs - very filling so I don't need the hashbrowns.

Pizza toppings - I stay away from Dominos and Pizza hut and other big chains - they use fillers in their cheeses and meat toppings. Go with the small pizza places (who appreciate your business more anyway) and use good quality cheese (full fat) and meat. Eating just the toppings of 2 slices is pretty darn filling!

Outback - I LOVE steak and king crab legs - all that yummy butter! The only thing I really miss there is the walkabout soup (a creamy onion that is delish!).

I should mention that most of these places have premium burgers - ask for no bun, and they will happily accomodate you.

Any restaurant that offers blue cheese anywhere can give you some to top your steak with - don't be afraid to ask. Also, if they have anything on the menu that is grilled, they'll grill anything you want - even if they only order grilled salmon, you can ask for grilled chicken and they'll do it up for you.

Two other notes for eating out: I am a diabetic and say so up front - I can't eat carbs! The more we ask for low carb dishes, the more likely they are to offer low carb dishes. They want to make money and are always adding and subtracting dishes to menus to find what will sell best. You can explain that you have a "medical condition" (being overweight or obese IS a medical condition) and you will find most times that they are very receptive to adapting menu items for you.

Also, give your favourite restaurants a call and request nutrition information ahead of time (and a copy of the menu). Having the knowledge ahead of time allows you to make choices with confidence even if a group of other people are sitting around you.

I hope this helps!

Twitch, who doesn't care if this isn't Burger King, she wants it HER way!