View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-01, 23:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/179/140 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Well I guess if you are following the Atkins Diet, you have to accept that Dr. Atkins is the reigning expert.
He does say in the book that all cheese has some carbohydrates so you should be aware of that.
I imagine he does enjoy making money from his products, but the same can be said of anyone anywhere who has any product to sell. I don't think that his motives should be suspect just because he makes a profit.

As for selling sweets to carb junkies... the reason people are addicted to them is because of the chemical reaction in their bodies to the sugars. If that reaction is removed by removing the sugar and nearly eliminating the carbohydrate, then any physical addictive reaction would be eliminated as well.
That means that if a person reacts to eating a low carb no sugar treat by binging on sugared treats, the impetus was psychological.

I don't mean to minimize the impact of psychological cravings, but I feel a blanket prohibition of all sweet things assumes that all carbohydrate addicts are psychologically addicted and I have trouble believing that.

I know that in my own case, and I suspect for many here, if the physical aspects are controled they can be judicious about servings of sweets, even in induction. That's part of knowing your own limitations.
I think that if someone knows they have a tendency toward psychological addiction to sweets they should avoid them. However I suspect that a lot of people who think they can't control their urge to eat sweets once they start have been struggling with physical issues, not psychological ones.
It's the chemistry that has made me restrict my carb intake. If the chemistry were different, I'd eat anything I wanted.

In truth, who would not eat sugar if sugar did not have adverse affects on insulin balance?
I enjoy the taste of chocolate, I enjoy the taste of sweetness. Should I be denied that because I have a problem with my insulin? I think not.
Fortunately for me, I enjoy the taste of chicken and meat and lots of low carb food also.
I think it's wonderful that there are alternatives for people who want to experience all tastes.
I like that there are sources for treats as well as sources for "cereal" and "bread" etc.

So I still say... if a person on a carbohydrate restricted diet wants a sweet treat and can have one without impairing their metabolic chemistry, then go for it.