View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 15:04

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I have very seriously considered getting surgery myself, but decided to do Atkins as a last effort before resorting to it. I am aware of the risks and the side effects and would definitely wish to avoid them if there is any other possible alternative. The desperation, depression and isolation one feels as a result of being obese cannot be understated. I felt like I was dying, and I probably was. If surgery is the only way I could save my life, then so be it.

However, I am glad I tried Atkins. Although I am losing more slowly than I'd hoped, I feel so much better that it is like night and day. I used to wake feeling tired, nauseous, and there was just no "spark". I NEVER felt good. After 4 1/2 weeks on Atkins, I actually wake up feeling rested and I feel good during the day. I have begun to really care about myself and my health. I have started Curves and I actually love going. I even feel like exercising and look forward to it, whereas before I was so exhausted and fatigued that it was all I could do to drag myself through the workday and get home to rest on the couch until it was time for bed (where I suffered from lack of restful sleep).

I feel so much better on this plan that I have decided to stick with it for at least the next 6 months before I consider whether surgery will still be needed. At this point, I can see Atkins as a WOL, and I am planning to continue this WOE for a lifetime (maintanance once I reach my goal).

I know that this way it will take much longer to reach my goal than it would if I had the surgery, but it will be worth it if it works. I know that surgery is still an option if all else fails. But I would never turn to it lightly or out of "laziness".