View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 09:18

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

bookgurl, the endo mentioned that study to me at my 1rst appointment (I must say it impressed me , as the other doctors I had went to seemed very old school and not very 'up' on treatment of thyroid disease). He even said he treats patients not just lab results ( ahem--maybe he also reads Mary Shommon's books? ) Of course I was already aware of it from the about.com forum.

The way I found this Dr. was round-about via the Armour website. His associates were on the list as those who may prescribe Armour and the Dr. I made an appointment with was recommended by my(trusted) gyno who has td also. He occasionally will prescribe Armour if all else fails, but wanted me to try a little Cytomel first. He prescibed 5 -10 mcg. per day, and I noticed improvement after about a week of 5mcg.

I am 51, and have noticed improvement in the mind fog area along with other problems over the years since my diagnosis ,medication, & improvements in diet which all resulted in having more energy to have a life--exercise, start the day before noon, have a paart time job, move about etc.--you know what I mean --all the things that make for a better working metabolism also. I am certain that medication is vital for me personally, I would never wish my life to return to what it was before being medicated!

the only mention I have found in TSPII of Cytomel is on page 81 in the checklist titled "Do you have a High Adrenaline Lifestyle?" the box to check reads "Do you take cytomel in levels that cause your blood T3 to be higher than the normal range?" So I guess one's Dr. and lab results would aid in this decision.

Also on page 106 in the info titled "On Your Way to Becoming Insulin - Resistant" a lot of what is described as symptoms ( and a Dr. told me I may become insulin resistant) when I first started looking at my diet . I have found over the last few years as I improved my diet and lost some of the fat around my mid-section that many of these symptoms have improved, including fuzzy brain and fatigue.

I have an appointment soon with the endo and plan to ask more about what makes a diagnosis of Hashi's.