View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 07:03

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I'm having to deal with a similar situation in my own family. My second daughter is very obese. She won't tell me what she weighs but I know it's probably around 250 or more. She has Rheumatoid Arthritis, Graves disease that's out of control, Fibromyalgia and Clinical Depression.
Also 4 kids, three of whom are teens that are driving her up the wall and an alcoholic husband.
She is on Prednisone and antidepressants so it is almost impossible for her to lose. She tried Atkins and couldn't stick with it for a week.
She heard about Duodonal Switch which is a newer weight loss surgery. It is supposed to have less side effects than stapling or by-pass. Her Endocrinologist seems to think it's OK for her to do this if the insurance will cover it.
I know she has a lot of problems besides the obesity but I really hope she reconsiders. I think using surgery for weight loss is very dangerous.
I have tried to talk her out of this but so far with no result so all I can do is support her if this is her choice.