View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 06:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I absolutely do not agree that stomach stapling is a cop out. In order to qualify for the surgery one must be at least 100 lbs. overweight, or be severely obese with other co-morbities. I looked into this, but never weighed enough to have it done.

The majority of the people who have this surgery done are doing it to save their lives. The risks are huge and the process horrendous from all I have researched. For most...this is the last option after years and years of trying other alternatives. In order to be successful with this surgery, they must forever eat out of the "custard cup". Now does this really sound like someone who is copping out? Would you eat mush for the rest of your life in order to be thin? Now ask yourself...would you eat mush for the rest of your life to save your life?

Don't forget...not everyone has heard of Atkins and not everyone is a maverick willing to do their own research regarding the low carb lifestyle. For how many years has this diet/woe been villified??? My neighbor, who recently began a low carb diet (not Atkins as yet although she is going to read my book after not getting the results she wanted doing general low carb (with milk apparently), said in her college courses they were taught how dangerous low carb is. Her first words to me were something along the lines of "its not good for you and its dangerous, but it works".

This is not a flame, but the statement that it is a cop out bothers me. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you start making comments like this, please.

Yes...it is getting to be very popular, but it has saved the lives of many people.

All that being said, I have read where some who do the surgery end up also doing Atkins or another low carb plan. I hope no one here has had it done and had to read about how they "copped out".

Laura