View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 02:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 136/146/150
BF:
Progress: 71%

Fascinating stuff about the lean meat death syndrome. One thing I remember noticing years ago in more ignorant low fat times was how difficult it was to feel warm in cold weather if my fat intake was low. Interestingly enough my mother who has battled with being very overweight most of her seventy odd years and has tried to address this with low fat diets, also reports more sensitivity to cold weather . You'd think if it was just a simple insulation effect of fat she'd cope with the cold weather well. I've always been really skinny , but as soon as I started eating a lot more fat (both saturated and not) I seem to be able to laugh at the cold with exactly the same dress habits. It is also well documented that predatory animals (humans included ) always seem to go for the fattiest parts of their kill first. The fattiest organ of all - the brain - is prized above all. Unfortunately most animals do it tough and are lean , so fat is rare in the wild . Humans would never have evolved such a big brain without a huge saturated fat intake. I think the whole low fat philosophy is a kind of puritanical gross misinterpretation of our evolutionary heritage. I really haven't seen a reputable study yet that even suggests a convincing causal link between high saturated fat / low carb diet and degenerative disease. The glycerol pathway of supplying the brain's small requirement for some glucose from fat in the diet (not from protein through gluconeogenesis) coupled with the other benefits of high fat intakes - IN THE ABSENCE OF SIGNIFIGANT AMOUNTS OF ANY CARBOHYDRATE- make the optimal dietary ratios of Fat , Carbs, Protein an absolute no brainer IMHO. Curious little snippets like the backwoodsmen dying slowly from not getting enough saturated fat just continue to zip it up for me. Besides, I just continue to notice dramatic health improvements in myself and the many friends and associates who just can't ignore the advantages and make the change. BTW, you sound a bit squeamish about the raw meat thing because of parasite risk. If you like your meat rare, then even if it's just a little bit pink inside it just hasn't reached high enough temperatures to kill any parasites. The outside might look scorched and a dead zone, but the inside (if at all pink) is biologically very much alive. Trust your body. Get fresh meat ,get enough sleep, and keep your carbs low and your immune system will deal with any parasites. Cooking your meat sufficiently to kill parasites basically ruins it's nutritional value any way. Believe me if you already enjoy a rare steak a well seasoned raw steak is infinitely more delicious. Unfortunately you will have to contend with the 'normal' people thinking you are a bit weird. Oh well!
Cheers,
Stuart