Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Oohhhh Russell Stovers.... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=99999)

faeriegirl Sun, Apr-20-03 16:12

Oohhhh Russell Stovers....

My bf and i went to the US yesterday for the day to see if we could track down some low carb treats, because there isn't very much selection (read: bars and shakes only) in Canada, that we have been able to find. So we go to Bellingham, and HOLYCRAP! It is everywhere!! We went into Walmart, and it was overflowing off the shelves! We found ketchep, and bbq sauce, bake mixes, and gasp - the Russell Stovers. (I kept hearing everyone talk about them) I was feeling pretty gross last night. And the dumb thing about it is - i knew that the malitol was going to hurt me, but I just wanted to try one of each kind (5 different kinds - lol lol). I know - it is terrible. I was in a bit of pain last night, but i think it was just the novelty of actually being able to find all this great *different* stuff, that we went a little overboard. THe treats have been now been safely packed up and put away for a rainy day. But i don't know how you guys can resist the Russell Stovers - thank goodness that i have to drive for 2 hours to another country to get them - which helps to resist the temptation. I hope you are all having a lovely long weekend :)

jeanyyy Sun, Apr-20-03 17:02

Oh, thanks for the report, faeriegirl.. I never made it to WalMart in my last 2 trips. Will have to stop in there now :) Yeah, sugar free chocolate has sugar alcohols that aren't tolerated by everyone. I seem to be one of the lucky ones that isn't affected, but I still keep the number I have pretty low ... just in case :)

Did you find the low carb tortillas at Safeway?

AmyTN Sun, Apr-20-03 18:20

Funny you don't have all the choices we have down here in the US, since it seems all the Atkins Products I've bought say made in Canada. Just goes to show you how strange companies are with marketing. The Wal-Marts in my area have been completely out of shakes for weeks. There seems to be some problems with a shortage all over.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne

Chloë Mae Sun, Apr-20-03 18:44

Shortages

The reason for the wide spread shortages, is that Atkins is in the process of changing all their labels, so they will show the "Net Carbs" and the little 1,2,3,4 squares to tell if you can have that item or not.

faeriegirl Sun, Apr-20-03 20:26

It is so true about the products being made in Canada. It is the same with Pure Delite bars - they are made here, but they don't have nearly as many flavours as they do in the US. They must just make them, and then ship them over the border. Very strange!
Walmart was great - part of me was a little bit mad after awhile, because it became very obvious that lowcarbing isn't accepted hardly at all in Canada, which is obvious by the lack of options we have. I understand that there is more of a market in the US, but even in chain stores, such as GNC, there is a ridiculous difference between the selection from one country to the next.
I didn't find any low carb tortillas. I ordered some before, and i am rationing those! They are wonderful. I hope that i am able to track more down before they are gone :)
And to anyone in Bellingham who is looking for the old muffin mixes - GNC has the ones that are 2g of carbs (i guess they are being replaced by others that are 8g). I guess if they changed the formula, people are trying to scoop up the 2g. ones before they are all gone. I got one package for myself, but once you convert the currency, it cost me about $11 for a package of muffin mix (eeek). So i hope it is good :)