Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What's the deal with malitol? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=99162)

Hippy Girl Wed, Apr-16-03 10:59

What's the deal with malitol?

I'm really trying to do Atkins right this time and it's day 2...I haven't gotten the chocolate cravings out of my system yet...sigh....I found these sucralose and malitol fudgesicles and wondered whether anyone can tell me what the story is on malitol - ie. stalls, ketosis... :confused:

I'm REALLY hankering for something chocolate-y. Any advice?

MsJinx Wed, Apr-16-03 11:03

I had to drop out of Induction last time after indulging in these kinds of treats. My cravings became too intense. I'm doing it right this time and I"m in day 3 with NO cravings. I have a touch of heavy cream occasionally at the end of a meal - seems to help my 'psychological' cravings - cuz there are no bodily cravings.

Could you post what you've been eating? Maybe someone can help as to why you're still having cravings?

Hang in there!

paradise Wed, Apr-16-03 11:12

I think you want to have a "clean" Induction, therefore, hold off on those fudgesicles until after Induction. Other posters have mentioned taking L-glutamine to help with cravings. One of the purposes of Induction is to banish the cravings for sweet stuff (what got a lot of people into trouble in the first place), that's why you'll see the Atkins' Endulge (chocolate bars sweetened w/maltitol and sucralose) are not appropriate for Induction.

Baconbabe Wed, Apr-16-03 12:45

Eating these things just cause more cravings...the purpose of induction is to get rid of them...so do induction right and you wont have to worry about it :)

DCMark Wed, Apr-16-03 13:14

Maritol also causes the s**ts so beware

2berners Wed, Apr-16-03 17:21

'Ware the Malitol!

Some people eat malitol-sweetened stuff all the time without stalling weight loss, some people stall if they eat it at all, but too much of it and you'll be vomiting in a spectacularly cinematic fashion.

MsJinx Wed, Apr-16-03 19:03

That doody stuff it true! (so I...um...hear) :blush:

I'm not usually a 'soda person' but I was at Eckerd's drugs today looking for pork rinds - munchies hitting. Came across the Russell Stover's chocolate peanut butter cup - a HUGE weakness, that. Went through all the rationalizations in my head, checked out the one serving kind, then opted for the diet R.C. cola (Splenda sweetened) and headed over to HEB to scrore the rinds. That was one heck of a hillbilly snack! I sat in my car eating these things, washing them down with R.C....YUMMMY..... VERY SATISFYING Anyway, the cravings do pass. Try to distract yourself (and stay away from the ice cream aisle!!!).

We're not trying to be bossy we've just all been there. Please take any advice you receive knowing that we mean well, even if we tend to get preachy. :sunny: :rheart:

Skamito Wed, Apr-16-03 19:15

Check out some Maltitol haikus to illuminate some of the displeasures: Maltitol!

Some people don't experience unpleasantness though. Personally I'd wait until after induction to test it... oh, and I'd be near a restroom. :rolleyes:

:)

rwaters Wed, Apr-16-03 20:05

So True

The haikus are wonderful. I can totally relate. I just returned from a trip and downed almost an entire bag of Baskin Robbins SF hard candies on the way. Didn't read 'til later that "Excessive consumption could have a laxative effect". So true, so true :skull: . Originally I didn't have a problem with maltitol or any other sweetener. I'm finding the more I eat the more sensitive my body is becoming to it. Can't even eat half a candy bar anymore. Sure wish my body didn't like sweets.