Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Lc Bars (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=98638)

clilac Sun, Apr-13-03 20:40

Lc Bars

hello, :wave:
Does anyone know if the LC bars in the grocery stores are really LC?
I have found some that say htey have ~ 18 carbs but, at the bottom of the bar it says there are only 2.
There is 14 of sugar alcohol and and 2 fiber.
is this true or a selling gimick...
Thanks in advance.
[Moderators edit: Please, no email addresses posts.]

Athena123 Sun, Apr-13-03 20:55

Basically when on this diet or woe you count only the carbs listed as impact or net effective carbs (there are lots of names depending on which company's products you use). The 2g that you saw were the impact carbs. These are the only carbs that will affect how your blood sugar rises. I don't know about other low carb diets, but when doing Atkins you don't need to add sugar alcohol carbs or fiber carbs to your daily count.

Here are some links that may help:
Fiber: A Special Kind of Carbohydrate
How to Read a Food Label

Hope this helps!

clilac Mon, Apr-14-03 06:12

Thank you for the information
those sites have been a big help
Char

stevensond Mon, Apr-14-03 11:40

I eat one of those EAS Advantage bars almost every morning. They are pretty good. Very filling. I use drink a 32 oz bottle of water with mine. I sometimes eat one as an afternoon snack.

Good luck!

Elihnig Mon, Apr-14-03 15:16

Many people are sensitive to sugar alcohols and glycerine that low carb bars contain. For some people, the 18 on the package acts like 16 real sugar carbs. You still get to subtract the 2 fiber carbs.

If you stall or gain, it very well could be those bars. Use with caution, Your Mileage May Vary.

Beth

gudjul Tue, Apr-15-03 16:43

when I started induction Feb. 1, 03, I ate one of the low carb/high protien bars daily. I kept my carbs 20-24 and drank lots of water. I gained weight!!! I stopped them 3 weeks ago and am begining to lose wt. 5lbs as of today. Everyone reacts to them differently. Good Luck with our wol. , Sue

clilac Tue, Apr-15-03 19:45

thank you too all of you...
I will have to pay attention to that.
I do not want to gain but, would like to start
Loosing seeing i am being so good not eating
any other carbs...
again thank you for the wonderful advise.
C

LadyDi Wed, Apr-16-03 19:37

ya...

I had a real tough Psychology exam today...so I treated myself...Egg foo young...glass of red wine, and a low carb bar!!!!! I know, I know....The lowest bar I could find was: "To diet for"...it was 18 carbs for the whole bar. I actually don't crave stuff like that on Atkins this time around...When I was in my teens on Atkins, I sure did though (in the 70's).