Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ketosis? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=98534)

thindelite Sun, Apr-13-03 10:53

ketosis?

Just wondered how many of you stay in ketosis daily? Or do you check it? I guess the Atkin's diet is mostly meat and protein and not much else. I have been fooling myself that I can eat small amounts of carbs during the day - it gets away from me. I have changed my plan a bit and am following more of a strickly meat diet - not eating vegetables or fruit or bread- in order to kick start the fat burning process. My trouble is, that in the past while getting off sugar and starting more protein, I have had rapid diuresis and especially up many times during the night. My kidney function is normal and my uric acid level is normal. I may just be dehydrated. My joints and muslces in my legs ache at night. What is the fastest anyone has lost here on 20 grams of carbs a day? I'd like to get it off in 3 months - 40 pounds that is. I do find that once I turn on the fat burning switch, my appetite decrease and my energy level increases. How much protein do some of you gals consume in order to get the fat burning mode going? I have had lots of fatigue in my first week. And am dehydrated. I am taking potassium/magnesium supplements.

:roll:

Karen Sun, Apr-13-03 12:58

Quote:
I guess the Atkin's diet is mostly meat and protein and not much else.

No, not at all! :) Atkins ongoing weightloss phase - OWL - pre-maintenance and maintenance closely resemble Protein Power.

It's only during induction that your carbs are limited to 20 per day and that only lasts for 2 weeks.
Quote:
My trouble is, that in the past while getting off sugar and starting more protein, I have had rapid diuresis and especially up many times during the night.

That's natural and it's a good sign. It means your burning fat.
Quote:
My joints and muslces in my legs ache at night.

You very well then may be dehydrated. If you're taking cal/mag and potassium you shouldn't have any cramping. Drinking LOTS of water should be part of any lowcarb plan.

As for ketosis, I could tell I was in ketosis because of the way my mouth felt and the amount I was urinating. I never heard of a ketostix until I read Atkins which was a year after I started lowcarbing. And it would wax and wane weekly.

I kept my protein to the minimum daily requirements as per Protein Power, carbs at 30 and I lost 50 pounds of fat in about 6 months. It's when I started mixing plans - Atkins with PP - that I started messing up. Once you start messin' it's hard to stop.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but 40 pounds in three months is a tad unrealistic. It could happen, but usually to people who are male, not on any medications including BC pills, and who have never yo-yo dieted.

It's not the protein that flips the fat burning switch - because excess protein can turn into glucose - it's fat and getting your carbs from vegetable sources.

Hope this helps,

Karen