Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Sugar Cravings (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=97901)

ggrumpy Thu, Apr-10-03 10:14

Sugar Cravings

Hi Everyone,

I'm having sugar cravings from time to time. I find it odd because I've never been a sweet eater. What is the cause of this? Is there any way to curb these cravings? :confused:

Thanks

orzabelle Thu, Apr-10-03 10:25

I bet they'll go away!
I find that cashews ALMOST satisfy my sugar craving. Just a few at least gets my mind off the subject for a little while.
I'm only on Day 11, and only now do I really feel like I can almost deal with these cravings. I've heard it gets better!

Alina Thu, Apr-10-03 10:30

Hi!

do you take supplements like multivitamin, magnesium and calcium? They can help. Also, fresh veggies contain small amounts of natural sugar, it helped me. Any sugar free products are known to trigger cravings, so be careful.
Hang on! It gets better if we don't give in.
Alina

cre8tivgrl Thu, Apr-10-03 11:16

Could you post what you ate yesterday? Perhaps there are hidden carbs or triggers that are setting your cravings off. :q:

ggrumpy Thu, Apr-10-03 12:26

Yesterday

Yesterday I had Atkins chicken caccitore, and 2/3 cup of mixed veggies 2 grams carbs. For a snack I had 12 hot pepper rings 1 carb, 5 olives 2 carbs, 2 oz. cheese 2 carbs, and a can of sardines 0 carbs. I tend not to eat breakfast or lunch. I had a stroke on 1/15/03 and I do all the cooking here. Standing to cook is a bit of a problem so I don't cook for myself.

Thanks

Kaillean Thu, Apr-10-03 13:49

If you're only eating once a day, that could very well be the cause of your cravings. Eating frequently is important.

Do you have a caregiver that cooks for you? If so, would it be possible to ask them to do a few things in advance, so you have easily accessible food? Cooking a chicken or chicken pieces is great. Ditto turkey or ham.

Also if it possible to chop you up some veggies for salad in advance. If not, you can buy the bags of pre-washed, pre-chopped lettuce or spinach, as well as already cut and cleaned celery, cauliflower, etc.

Red peppers help with my sweet cravings. If you're past Induction, you could also have a few berries.

I bet if you could find some strategies to eat more frequently, your cravings would get under control.

Tuna is handy. A tupperware with tuna salad is great. You can put it on salads or stuffed into celery. You can cook bacon in the oven and keep it in the fridge.

Nuts are good too, if you're able to control your intake. They're addictive! Sunflower seeds are a good nutritious snack. Cheese is good, again in limited quantities.

I also make a lot of one dish meals that might work for you and limit your need to stand. Roast some chicken pieces, pork or lamb with a bit of broth. Do it on low (350) for about an hour/hour and a half with limited tending. Then remove it - place under foil -- add about 1/4 c heavy cream to the pan juices and pop it back in the oven on high to reduce to a nice rich sauce. You can also roast cauliflower and broccoli along with it. Again - limited tending. Or serve with raw veggies or a salad.

Whenever you cook, or someone cooks for you, make double the amount so you can have leftovers the next day. Just warm them up in the microwave or in the oven.

Best of luck to you!

K. :)

ggrumpy Thu, Apr-10-03 13:56

Thanks

Kaillean,

Thanks for the help. I really don't have anybody at home during the day. Out of 4 adults living here I'm the best cook. I'll try making some things when I'm cooking dinner for the next day. I tried sending you a message but was told I don't have permission. I don't have the foggiest idea why?

Regards

Elihnig Thu, Apr-10-03 15:12

You need 25 posts to enable private messaging.

Keep posting.

Beth

LCBarbara Fri, Apr-11-03 08:19

Tried L-glutamine?

It is supposed to help reduce sugar and carbs cravings. :thup:
I'm stopping at the health food store today to get some!

ggrumpy Fri, Apr-11-03 12:09

L-Glutamine

To LCBarbara,

Thanks for the post. I just got some L-Glutamine today. I've taken a couple tablets with lunch. It seems to helping already. I didn't even look at the candy jar my wife keeps since.

Thanks

LCBarbara Fri, Apr-11-03 13:07

That's awesome - definitely picking up some today!!!

Leamasu Fri, Apr-11-03 19:53

L-Glutamine

L-glutamine is what helped keep me on this diet for so long. It definitely works and works well. You can also find L-Glutamine in Keto brand hot chocolate mix found at your local health store. It only has 2gm of carbs and tastes pretty good with whip cream in it. Yum.

cre8tivgrl Sat, Apr-12-03 12:45

I agree that not enough calories is a likely culprite for cravings.

Some things that you could keep around... jerkey, hard boiled eggs, pre-cooked bacon (I cook a bunch and put in a sealed container), raw veggies like celery, cauliflower (I put peanut butter on my celery), string cheese.