Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   On induction and going to Mexican restaurant tonight...... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=97866)

mommyto3 Thu, Apr-10-03 07:25

On induction and going to Mexican restaurant tonight......

What can I order that will be okay for induction. For breakfast I ate 3 slices of bacon & water, lunch will be tuna w/mayo and 1/4 c tomato w/water.

I don't want to mess up! Please help!! :)

hippygal Thu, Apr-10-03 07:36

WELL....

When eating out at a mexican rest. I alwasys go for the fajitas without the tortillas. You can eat the cheese guacamole sour cream and pico. It is the easiest choice I know. Most fajita dishes don't come with rice and beans but if they do tell the waitor you don't want them so they will not even be a temptation. Also ask that no chips be provided before the meal. They are sneaky little boogers !
Good luck and have fun.
Fajitas for one or two is always my choice !

KoKo Thu, Apr-10-03 07:37

What about ordering fajhitas and not eating the wrappers - A Mexican restuarnt I go to offers a fajhita platter that you assemble yourself so the wrappers are on the side -. They might have a ceasar salad and if you pick the croutons out that should be ok. Have fun - wish I was going I love Mexican food.

BarbCA Thu, Apr-10-03 07:38

Last time I went I ordered Sabana, a thin cut of chewy steak, topped with cheese and served with tomatillo sauce. I left the rice and beans and ate the lettuce, sour cream and guacamole.
No chips but I had some of the cabbage relish.
You can always tell them to hold the rice and beans but someone else at the table ate mine.

chocy963 Thu, Apr-10-03 08:04

I'm probably too late, but maybe you can use this next time. Try carnitas or carne asada and some guacamole - yum! If you are a salad eater, you could have that too.

mommyto3 Thu, Apr-10-03 09:20

chocy-I don't even know what those things you mentioned are! Can you describe them? Oh and you're not too late! I just posted this morning!

Thanks to everyone else. Fajitas look like a good choice and a safe one. Thanks everyone!

P.S. Still would like to hear others input on this too! :)

Redfallon Thu, Apr-10-03 09:31

I order 2-3 hard shell tacos and don't eat the shell and make my own taco salad out of it. The chicken ones are pretty safe, and even if you get beef - which may have *some* sugars depending on how they make it - it has never knocked me out of ketosis. The ones I've had have meat, lettuce, cheese and tomato. When I went home to Texas last month, there is no way I could *not* have some authentic Tex-Mex, so that's what I ordered. Since I'm on OWL now, I also added in some of the hot sauce that was on the table for the chips. Mmmmmmmmm :yum:

worthit Thu, Apr-10-03 09:37

I have ordered chile con carne and a guacamole salad, although it didn't stop me from salivating over the chips and salsa...

alwazbuzy Thu, Apr-10-03 09:48

Here are my top three tips:
1. EAT A SNACK BEFORE YOU GO.
2. EAT A SNACK BEFORE YOU GO.
3. EAT A SNACK BEFORE YOU GO.

If you go on an empty stomach, the wonderful aroma of cumin that sweeps through the restaurant may be too much for you to handle.
And it will help you resist the chips and salsa that the other people at your table will probably insist on eating.

One thing I do is ask for two glasses of water so I don't run out of something to drink while everyone else is enjoying their appetizers.

If you order some type of salad, feel free to take some of your own dressing in a small container and slip it in your purse or your pocket. If anyone says something to you about it, just look towards the door, point your finger, and shout loudly, "Look! It's Brad Pitt!!"

Good Luck!
Amy Mc

Bleach Thu, Apr-10-03 10:02

Try a taco salad, but make sure you ask them to make it without the beans :)

Crimson Thu, Apr-10-03 10:57

I went to a mexican restaurant last week. I ordered fajitas with extra beef and no tortilla shells. They charged me an extra $2 for the beef, but didn't blink an eye at my request. And damn.. it was tasty!

chocy963 Thu, Apr-10-03 14:21

Carnitas is fried pork. Sounds weird, I know. It is seasoned and slow cooked till it is really tender. Then it is broken up into pretty decent size chunks and tossed around in hot oil. The edges get a little crispy.

Carne asada is basically steak. It depends where you get it. Sometimes it is a very thin cut steak, cooked over very high heat. Other times it is more like a regular steak. It doesn't have much seasoning, mostly just salt and pepper.

We live in an area with tons of small, authentic Mexican restaurants. Sometimes the big chain type restaurants do things a bit different, but - those are carne asada and carnitas as I know them. Carnitas are extra yum!

Lebette Tue, Apr-15-03 22:49

When I go to a mexican or tex-mex restaraunt, I sometimes get a chili relleno...thats a green pepper stuffed with cheese, battered in egg, fried and covered in red sauce and cheese.

But check to see how its made, some places use a batter instead of egg to fry it in. Its not the most healthy (the frying), but it gives you another choice, and it was one of my pre-Atkins favorties anyway...

: )

vbrowne Wed, Apr-16-03 06:53

Guess what I'm doing for dinner - yum yum :)

Vikki

squiroga01 Wed, Apr-16-03 07:06

You can do...

Taco salad with out the shell. Everything else is valid.