Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Salads Veggies & Side Dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   the best fried cabbage ever (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=97802)

starmarie Thu, Apr-10-03 00:25

the best fried cabbage ever

my moms been making this my whole life and i eat it a lot now.
i think this makes like 5 or 6 servings but we usually make it 3 big ones.

in a "big ol' skillet"
cook about half a pund of bacon cut up into bite size peices
drain some of bacon grease
add a head of cabbage
add a good portion of a large onion
salt and pepper to taste
fry until cabbage starts to brown and becomes soft

its even good leftover

mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Iowagirl Thu, Apr-10-03 14:16

I make this, too - it's awesome!

ICountToo Fri, Sep-12-03 17:44

I made this tonight. Hubby and kids ate it up better than any veggie I've put before them. Thanks for the tip!

Jen-Ai Sat, Sep-27-03 11:05

I just bought a cabbage head and bacon last night (perfect timing) and this sounds awesome. I'm going to use green onions because they are my favorite. Thanks.

Jen-Ai

ian559 Thu, Oct-02-03 12:34

I make this all the time. If I am low on on carbs left in the day I use onion powder instead of sliced onion. Either way it so yummy. With leftovers you can add some vinager and splenda and heat it and its a great hot salad too

LoveSong Sun, Oct-26-03 19:22

I make fried cabbage this way too, and I agree, it's yummy! I also love to grill cabbage too. When we are gonna grill steaks or chops or burgers, I cut the head of cabbage in slices about an inch thick, keeping the slices in one piece, as much as possible, and make foil packets of the cabbage slices, along with thin slices of onion, and butter, salt and pepper. I seal the packets and put them on the grill, turning often. When it's time to put the meat on, I put the packets to one side. Some of the cabbage will get a little charred, but it doesn't hurt the taste at all, and we all eat as much cabbage as we do steak!! I try not to overcook the cabbage, as we all love it when it's not mushy.

want2bfit Mon, Oct-27-03 06:31

Can you tell me how you cut the cabbage for the pan? Do you leave it in leaf form or slice? Thanks, Maureen

Tiff Sat, Nov-01-03 07:49

I buy the prepackaged shredded cabbage (for making cole slaw) and fry that up in oil with onion. Its really good! Its found near the prepackaged lettuce.

brenna Thu, Nov-13-03 14:17

I just made some of this and it really hit the spot. I will be making it again. Thanks.

SpecialK Sat, Nov-15-03 01:08

I have made this for quite some time in a high carb version (add dumpling last minute and toss). Never even thought to make without the dumplings. Now I will. Thanks! Blessings, Karen

windy Tue, Dec-16-03 12:19

I make this also but add sugar twin brown sugar and about 3 Tbs. of vinegar and it makes it like sweet and sour. Very good.

Linda

WeeOne Wed, Jan-07-04 17:41

I tried this on Monday night and DH (who just started LC'ing on Monday) loved it and requested it again tonight.

Thanks for the quick and easy idea!

Tam

cwbydeb Wed, Jan-07-04 19:09

silly question:blush:

What color cabbage? This sounds interesting, and I am hoping my munchkins like it... gotta go the the store for the cabbage though...

SpecialK Wed, Jan-07-04 21:25

I usually use the green cabbage. Used the red one time and it was good but the green looks better. Made it the other night and my daughters friend cleaned out the pan. Enjoy. Blessings, Karen

CarolynC Sun, Feb-01-04 12:25

I made this today and it was great. Thanks for the recipe!