Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   The Strip Turned BLACK (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=97695)

gkeenan Wed, Apr-09-03 15:48

The Strip Turned BLACK

I've never seen anything like this...the strip actually got soooo dark it looks black. I've been drinking water today like it is going out of style (I've been so thirsty) I've felt completely run down today, like the inside of me was going really really fast and the outside of me wants to sleep. So over the past hour I've drank another quart of water (hoping that that will make the strips lighter) it is lighter but not by much. Should I be concerned?

Gail

moeart42 Wed, Apr-09-03 16:02

When I get too far into ketosis I actually feel sick. I eat some carbs as soon as I feel that way or I will eventualy throwup. A 1/2 cup of milk or a small piece of bread or just a pinch of sugar a stick of real gum works for me. I'm not an expert but I think you need just a small dose of carbs too.

yannick Wed, Apr-09-03 16:35

No matter what i do my stick gets really deep purple each time

No matter what i do the stick is always deep purple my third day into ketosis.

I do drink my water each day, drink my green tea, count calories.

I guess that some people dont get passed trace and some get deep purple.

At first when i did reach deep purple i felt very bad, drained, fozzy and all but now my body seemed to have adapted and its ok.

gkeenan Wed, Apr-09-03 17:15

I've been doing Atkins since 2001 and I've never seen anything like this before. I guess it is because of the gym stuff. I have been going to the gym first thing in the morning with nothing on my stomach...and doing wind sprints, I guess this is just telling me it is working...I will continue drinking water to try and lower the color.

Gail

tofi Wed, Apr-09-03 17:27

How about asking your question over in the Exercise forum and mention the "wind sprints on an empty stomach" too. They may have information for you about the dark ketostick too.

:wave:

gkeenan Thu, Apr-10-03 05:01

Thanks Barb, did not think about that, will do. Well I got up this morning thinking I was so deep purple yesterday I must have had a whoosh...right? Well I got on the scale and I'm up 3 lbs. The stick is still pretty dark pink but not black this morning.

UP THREE LBS. I am getting soooooo discouraged again.

yvonne326 Thu, Apr-10-03 07:01

Hmmm. Your symptoms and the color of your sticks may indicate that your body is expelling too much water. Add salt to every quart of water you drink so you body can keep some of it. This phenomena happened to me and my body was dehydrated despite drinking multitude of water. Adding sea salt helped my body retain some of the water and within 36 hrs I felt 100%.

gkeenan Thu, Apr-10-03 07:50

Thank Yvonne, I will start doing that right now. I went in and the strips are sooo dark now...I've not eaten a single thing so it is not that and I did not go to the gym this morning so it is not that...the water does not seem to make it lighter. I've made an appointment with my doc. this is scaring me.

Gail

yvonne326 Thu, Apr-10-03 07:52

Don't get scared - hope all goes well with doctor :)

gkeenan Thu, Apr-10-03 16:21

Just tested again. The strip is still in the large area but much much lighter than yesterday...I guess I should not complain, at least I'm in ketosis! :D

Gail